Tuesday 12 March 2013

Iggle Piggle & The Nursery

Well we are now officially on countdown, with less than 3 weeks to go to our D-Date.  

I thought we were prepared the last time as we waited for Little Miss P to arrive, but somehow we feel even more prepared this time round, I expect it feels more so as as we found out the sex at the 20 week scan!   

The nursery used to be Little Miss P's bedroom and it is at this point that I would really like to show you the classic before and after shots but I haven't been that organised (so many things to do so little time).  Part of the nursery preparation has included redecorating Little Miss P's new room as well as carefully planning a smooth transition.  Her new room has worked out perfectly and she loves it.  I have to admit I completely underestimated how well she would cope with the move and had no consideration for how upset I would get, my baby suddenly seemed so grown up.  Where does the time go?  

Little Miss P's room was without doubt a very girlie room, however, we had never decorated it, so once stripped of all things that filled it, all those pretty bits that come with having a girl, pink, pink and some more pink (it doesn't matter how much you try to avoid it), it was returned to a blank white canvas.

I know this sounds silly but I did not want 'Iggle Piggles' (temporary name chosen by Little Miss P) nursery to look like a nursery.  My first priority was to inject as much and as many colours as possible.  So I started putting together a board Pinterest.  

The first job was to make a bold statement that made the room say 'this is a boys room'.  So we painted the chimney breast Navy Blue and I love it.  I would like to put something above the fireplace, but I haven't decided what yet.  Any ideas welcome.



A couple of weeks ago I spent the day with my mum, making the roman blind, I was so pleased to have remembered the basics from our S&B tutorial.  I really wanted to make this by myself, but I had to accept I needed help, not only because I am a little large, just fitting in front of a sewing machine is an impossible task alone, also it is a big window and I wanted it lined this time (guarantees deep sleep).

Here it is, the fabric is from Kids Fabric,  I just love all the colours.  I have just ordered some more fabric for the cot bumper and the striped version for the rocking chair.  Good job I finish work this week, i am running out of time (again!)  


The curtains were a bargain from Ikea.  

Here are some other bits I am particularly pleased with.

In the nursing corner I have framed some fabulous nursery rhyme pictures from my very talented friend Justine Kimmer.

The Owl and the Pussy Cat

Hey Diddle Diddle (Little Miss P's Favourite nursery rhyme, she sings it to my bump all the time)
I decided I didn't want a baby shower, but my dear S&B members all got together and planned an afternoon making these beautiful hand made Skittles for 'Iggle Piggle', while they created I had a pedicure!  Pure luxury for me and I feel so lucky to have such thoughtful and creative friends.

The Socky Dolls are my favourite addition.  They are full of life, lavender and can be heated in the microwave.  I have collected Boo, Wag and Mr Hooty so far.  I am sure (due to OCD) I will have to get the complete set very soon.


And finally Eeeeeeeeek!!!! Check out his beautiful Orla Keily covered lampshade from the very talented and exceptionally helpful Shady Lady.


I have also just ordered some Rico Cotton Aran Wool as I want to crochet some bunting as seen in this months Simply Crochet.


I would love to know your thoughts and if you have additional ideas.  I stil have plenty of white wall space to fill!

Nice to see you again.
Xxx

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful job lovely lady! What a sooper space for a tiny little man x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Love the navy blue. I have an idea for above the fireplace but it involves miss P and paint! We could do it at my house. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry another idea! In mayas nursery I had ribbons that I hung down the walls and I clipped cards, pics and small gifts to them with pretty pegs. She still has them now and uses them for artwork and things. I have always meant to do a boy version for Noah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just been to hobby craft Lauren. The art attack is on!

    ReplyDelete